Behaviour problem or problem behaviour? Learn to differentiate and maximise treatment success.
Improve your ability to help your clients better understand their pets’ behaviour and learn to best manage anxiety, aggression and other common behavioural problems. Discover the latest updates in behavioural pharmacology – the when, why and which of medications.
As well as ongoing feedback on your progress, the course includes two workshops to help you develop your consult skills and work up real behaviour cases.
A knowledge of behaviour is integral in maximising patient welfare. A positive experience in your practice for both patient and client will enhance satisfaction all round!
Kersti talks more about the course:
I have been able to apply so much of what I have learnt to every day consultations. My clients are loving it and I love being able to help the animals.
Carla Goldman, McGraths Hill Veterinary Centre
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Significantly improve your ability to help your clients better understand their pet’s behaviour
- Further your understanding of the basics of behaviour and the intimate relationship between behaviour and organic disease
- Develop your skills in differentiating behaviour problems from problem behaviours to maximise treatment success
- Learn how to more accurately diagnose behavioural problems in most domestic species
- Improve your knowledge of psychotropic medication used to treat behavioural problems, including when to use medication, which medication to use and why
- Interact with other veterinarians who have similar interests in behavioural medicine.
- Domestication and genetics – understand what processes are involved in the behaviour of animals
- Learning theory 1 – appreciate the science behind how animals learn
- Learning theory 2 – apply the science every day in your interactions with animals
- Neurology – discover more about the brain and behaviour and what makes animals tick
- Psychotropic medication 1 – learn about the common medications that help animals with mental health issues
- Psychotropic medication 2 – find out more about how medication can help your patients
- Behavioural history – become more comfortable with diagnosing and implementing a treatment program for your patients
- Anxiety disorders – learn why they are so debilitating and affect the life expectancy of your patients
- Aggression issues – gain knowledge to safely and appropriately manage patients showing aggressive behaviours
- Other common problems – increase your ability to deal with an assortment of behaviours that bother owners
This distance education course includes an optional 1-day workshop at the start of the course and a 2-day practical workshop towards the end of the course to work through case studies and major problems areas as a group. Dates to be confirmed.
What is Distance Education?
Premium, intensive online veterinary CPD
All CVE Distance Education (DE) programs are mentored by leading veterinary experts who will provide individual feedback and advice on completion of each monthly module. Each module may include written content, technique videos, self-reflections, quizzes and online submission of monthly assignments.
Maximise the opportunity to expand and consolidate your learning by participating in the tutor moderated group discussion forum and attending the optional 1-day workshop at the start of the course and a 2-day practical workshop towards the end of the course.
Who should enrol?
This course is designed for qualified veterinarians.
Allied industry professionals with a special interest in the topic may apply to join this course. Enrollment is at the discretion of the tutors. Please contact the CVE for more information.
Pay as you learn
Choosing your DE course is a big commitment, so there’s no need to add further stress by paying your course up front. To pay as you learn, you will need a AU$1,000 deposit to secure your place, followed by 50% of the total course fee 10 days prior to course commencement date. We’ll arrange simple monthly direct debits from your credit card over 3 or 6 months.
Note: Payment Plan will incur an additional AU$250 administration fee, and Early Bird rates do not apply if you choose the payment plan option.
||Super Early Bird
|| Early Bird
|| Full Rate
|Non-Member / eMember
*Members include: Practice, Professional, Part-time Professional, Recent Graduate, and Academic members.
Loyalty DE Discount: Completed 2 or more Distance Education (DE) courses in the previous 5 years, you are eligible for a 10% discount on future DE courses. Discounts are not cumulative. For further information about discount options for multiple registrations at the one event, please read the full Terms. To redeem your discount contact the CVE via email email@example.com or phone +61 2 9351 7979 (Monday to Friday, AEST 9am to 5pm).