This course introduces backyard poultry to the clinician to allow comprehensive and effective workup and care for these patients.
Keeping a few chickens in the backyard has enjoyed a resurgence in popularity over the last decade, with the backyard chicken becoming one of the most common birds presenting for veterinary care. This course aims to give you more confidence in approaching your backyard poultry cases by firstly providing an introduction to pet chicken medicine and then discussing common infectious and non-infectious diseases, anaesthesia and surgery.
I can recommend Backyard Chickens course for all beginners in backyard pet poultry. Opened a real new world for me. And provided a good map to start understanding this world much better.
Kadri Janson 2020 Participant
This was a fantastic course, the materials provided and the interaction with the tutor was excellent. The surprising bonus was the forums there were so many gems of wisdom in these exchanges - thank you. These are the best way to balance a busy life with excellent continuing education.
Lisa Wade 2019 Participant
By successfully completing this course, you will:
- be able to apply the principles of SOAP to a pet chicken
- understand the use (& restrictions) of common medications
- understand common diseases of backyard poultry
- understand how avian anatomy and physiology affects the use of anaesthesia in chickens
- be familiar with common surgical problems in chickens.
- Introduction to backyard poultry – breeds, husbandry & nutrition
- Clinical Approach to the Chicken – the physical exam, diagnostics, the use of medications, euthanasia, necropsy
- Common infectious diseases – respiratory infections, viral and fungal diseases, parasitism
- Common non- infectious diseases – reproductive disease, pododermatitis, wounds, etc.
- Anaesthesia and surgery – common surgical procedures
What is a TimeOnline?
Flexible and accessible online CPD
TimeOnline is quality online education delivered by veterinary experts in short, manageable timeframes.
Build in-demand skills in key clinical areas. Engage with your tutor/s and other participants through an active discussion forum. The programs are further enhanced by concise core notes, video presentations, case studies, images, useful links and interactive quizzes to test your knowledge and round out the program. Earn 10-20 CPD points with completion of each TimeOnline course.
Who should enrol?
This course is suitable for qualified veterinarians. Student members are also welcome to enrol.
Veterinary nurses with a special interest in the topic are welcome to enrol in this course. Please be aware that the course is designed for qualified veterinarians and you should consider this in light of your knowledge and experience before you register.
|Recent Graduate / Part-time Professional Member
|eMember / Non-Member
*Members include: Practice, Professional and Academic members.