This course is designed to teach participants the technical aspects of a variety of canine soft tissue surgery procedures for conditions seen not uncommonly in general practice – but perhaps not frequently enough to become “routine”. Also covered in this new program is a touch of orthopaedics.
Procedures covered include stifle explore +/- extracapsular stabilisation, femoral head and neck ostectomy, laryngeal tie-back, rapid splenectomy and incisional gastropexy for the treatment of GDV. With an emphasis on “how” to carry out the procedure, the instructors will utilize video clips of clinical cases to enhance understanding of the surgeries participants will perform as a component of the practical sessions.
Hear more from tutors Howie Seim and Clara Goh:
“Loved how hands on the course was and how approachable the speakers/ demonstrators were. Definitely was worth attending and regretted not doing both days of the workshop!
By successfully completing this course, you will:
- Be able to successfully perform a variety of canine soft tissue surgery techniques
- Understand the recent developments and new techniques in canine soft tissue surgery
- Develop a better appreciation for canine regional anatomy for each procedure performed
- Understand the instructors’ philosophical and technical views on performing a variety of canine soft tissue surgery procedures
What is a Workshop?
Highly practical - develop the confidence to implement your new skills on your return to work
Practical workshops are an ideal way to build confidence and competence in your skills, as you put theory into practice.
Ideally balanced combination of theoretical and hands-on education, our workshops allow participants to obtain the most benefit possible through practical application of the skills being taught. Small group teaching with a high tutor to participant ratio will ensure that you benefit from individual attention from your highly regarded and experienced tutor/s. Nothing beats on-the-spot feedback as you learn a new procedure.
Who should enrol?
This course is suitable for qualified veterinarians.
Please bring scrubs or suitable protective clothing and footwear for the workshop.
Please also bring the equipment listed below so that you get the most benefit from the day and have the right equipment for the procedures in the future. Failure to bring these instruments will impede your ability to participate in the practical sessions.
Surgical kit containing:
- Needle holders
- Brown-Adsen thumb forceps
- Debakey forceps
- Curved mosquito hemostats
- Straight mosquito hemostats
- Straight or curved Rochester Carmalt hemostats
- Mayo scissors (straight)
- Mayo scissors (curved)
- Metzenbaum scissors (straight)
- Metzenbaum scissors (curved)
- Stevens tenotomy scissor (straight)
- Scalpel handle for #10, #11 and #15 blades
- Allis tissue forceps
- Towel clamps (4 or 5 inch)
Download the venue details here.
|eMember / Non-Member
*Members include: Practice, Professional, Part-time Professional, Recent Graduate and Academic members.