Unlike heart disease, chronic renal insufficiency and arthritis, cancer is potentially curable.
Advances in chemotherapy and other treatment options have increased the options for palliative care, so that animals can have a prolonged life rather than a prolonged death. This course provides an overview of cancer biology, common chemotherapeutics, other therapies including surgery and radiation, paraneoplastic syndromes, lymphoma, sarcomas, round cell tumours and the complete approach to the cancer patient.
Develop the skills to obtain a tissue diagnosis without compromising the patient, tailor treatment plans for patients with co-morbidities and curate comprehensive palliative care protocols where the emphasis is on quality of life. Know that you are offering your patients – and their people – the most contemporary options and maximising the patient’s welfare.
Hear more about the course from your tutors Peter Bennett and Katrina Cheng -
I find that the CVE oncology course provides a good foundation and certainly helps with my internship program.
Rosemary Soh (2020 participant)
By successfully completing this course, you will:
- Develop the skills to obtain an appropriate tissue diagnosis of cancer without compromising the Patient
- Develop the skills to stage patients with neoplastic disease using appropriate diagnostic modalities
- Development comprehensive treatment options for clients including surgery, chemotherapy, radiation and newer options.
- Administer cytotoxic agents safely
- Develop a medical treatment plan for patients suffering from common neoplastic disease
- Tailor chemotherapy treatment plans for patients with co-morbidities
- Develop a comprehensive palliative care plan with an emphasis on quality of life
- Understand the rapid pace of change in oncology and know where to source the latest information and protocols
- Introduction to oncology: Mechanisms of oncogenesis and metastasis
- Introduction to chemotherapeutics and chemotherapy drugs
- The other therapies: surgery, radiation, hyperthermia and new alternatives
- Paraneoplastic syndromes
- Canine lymphosarcoma
- Feline lymphosarcoma
- Round cell tumours
- The complete approach to the patient with cancer
This online course comes with:
- Comprehensive notes, images, journal articles and additional readings
- Self-reflection tasks to review your current knowledge and focus on the topic at hand
- Discussion forums for conversation, debate and sharing cases with your peers and tutors
- A monthly assignment to assess your understanding of each topic. Individual feedback and explanations will be provided by your tutor
- A 2-day workshop held in Sydney (TBA)
2-Day Workshop - Sydney: TBA
*Note: if travel restrictions impact these workshops running as face to face events, arrangements will be made for an online alternative.
What is Distance Education?
Premium, intensive online veterinary CPD
All CVE Distance Education (DE) programs are mentored by leading veterinary experts who will provide individual feedback and advice on completion of each monthly module. Each module may include written content, technique videos, self-reflections, quizzes and online submission of monthly assignments.
Maximise the opportunity to expand and consolidate your learning by participating in the tutor moderated group discussion forum and attending the optional interactive workshops, with an emphasis on working through case studies and group discussion. This course has two workshop which are held in Sydney. One single day workshop at the beginning of the course and one 2-day workshop at the conclusion of the course.
Who should enrol?
This course is suitable for qualified veterinarians.
Pay as you learn
Choosing your DE course is a big commitment, so there’s no need to add further stress by paying your course up front. To pay as you learn, you will need a AU$1,000 deposit to secure your place, followed by 50% of the total course fee 10 days prior to course commencement date. We’ll arrange simple monthly direct debits from your credit card over 3 or 6 months.
Note: Payment Plan will incur an additional AU$250 administration fee, and Early Bird rates do not apply if you choose the payment plan option.
||Super Early Bird
|| Early Bird
|| Full Rate
|Non-Member / eMember
*Members include: Practice, Professional, Part-time Professional, Recent Graduate, and Academic members.
Loyalty DE Discount: Completed 2 or more Distance Education (DE) courses in the previous 5 years, you are eligible for a 10% discount on future DE courses. Discounts are not cumulative. For further information about discount options for multiple registrations at the one event, please read the full Terms. To redeem your discount contact the CVE via email email@example.com or phone +61 2 9351 7979 (Monday to Friday, AEST 9am to 5pm).