Brachycephalic Upper Airway Surgery Workshop
This workshop is designed to give practitioners a good understanding of the problems associated with upper airway surgery in brachycephalic breeds.
We will cover anatomy, pathophysiology and the different treatment options for these dogs.
This practical workshop will give participants the opportunity to perform the following surgical procedures:
- Staphylectomy - soft palate resection
- Grade 1 laryngeal collapse – resection of ventricles
- Stenotic Nares - Wedge Alarplasty – opening of the nares
- Oxygen placement options
- Laryngeal paralysis – crico-arytenoid lateralisation
- Temporary Tracheostomy
- Permanent Tracheostomy
Welfare implications of brachycephaly will also be discussed.
“Very relevant to private practice. Excellent speaker.”
“Philip Moses is such an amazing veterinarian and his lectures inspires me to learn more.”
On completion of this workshop participants will -
- Have an understanding of the anatomy of brachycephalic dogs – and how this differs from mesocephalic animals
- Be familiar with the surgical procedures relevant to relieving the clinical signs of brachycephaly
Participants are required to bring scrubs or suitable protective clothing and shoes as well as a head light/lamp (essential).
Please also bring the equipment listed below so that you get the most benefit from the day and have the right equipment for the procedures in the future.
Failure to bring these instruments may impede your ability to participate in the practical sessions.
- 1 x Hegar-Mayo needle driver 18-20cm
- 1 x number 3 scalpel handle
- 1 x Adson forceps 12-15cm
- 1 x DeBakey forceps 18-20cm
- 1 x Long - Rat Tooth Forceps 25cm
- 1 x curved Metzenbaum Scissors 20-23cm
- 1 x Mayo Scissors 18cm
- 1 x suture scissors 13-15cm
- 1 x Freer Periosteal Elevator sharp / blunt ended 18cm
- 4 x Halstead-Mosquito forceps 125cm
- 6 x Backhaus towel clamps 9cm
- 2 x Medium Gelpi Retractors with deep arms 14cm or 15cm
|Member type||Early bird||Full rate|
|Non-member / eMember||N/A||$1608|