Provide better outcomes for all your surgical patients and boost your confidence to approach more complex surgeries.
This course aims to present an overview of surgery and assist you to improve your approach to diagnosis and management of surgical diseases. The modules will cover key principles, practical applications and procedures. Each module will be supplemented with a tutorial to give you immediate feedback as well as the opportunity to discuss key concepts and approaches with your tutor.
The resources provided to support your learning in this course include video clips illustrating how to perform procedures, manipulations and operations you can carry out in your own practice. By the end of the course, you will have built a video library of common surgical procedures that you can review prior to performing the procedure. In addition, the course is supplemented by a two-day workshop.
For the experienced practitioner, this course will provide both a refresher and a confidence boost for approaching more complex surgeries, while for the beginner, it will provide a strong foundation to pursue surgery with more assurance. In addition, it can help with preparations for those looking towards sitting the small animal surgery membership examination of the Australian and New Zealand College of Veterinary Scientists.
DE Surgery is a great course for general practitioners as it focuses on surgical procedures that you will see in day to day practice. There is a big time commitment but the more time you put in the more you will get out it. If you have a good surgical caseload at your practice then you will benefit greatly from this course.
Natasha Hanrahan, Nightcliff NT
By successfully completing this course, you will:
- Have a refreshed and updated your surgical knowledge through a comprehensive overview of small animal surgery
- Improve your approach to the diagnosis and management of surgical diseases and better your understand of the ‘hows’ and ‘whys’ of surgery through case-based learning
- Gain an increased understanding of both general principles and detailed techniques of surgery for each of the body systems
- Increase your confidence about broadening your surgical endeavours.
- Principles of surgery I – pre-operative evaluation of the surgical patient
• Intra operative and post-operative considerations
• Wound healing
• Factors affecting wound healing, including biomaterials
• Suture material
- Principles of surgery II
• Surgical sterilisation and asepsis
• Role of antibiotics in surgery
• Tissue handling
• Surgical oncology
- Principles of surgery III – wound assessment and management
• Patient assessment and stabilisation
• Wound classification
• Principles of open wound management
- Principles of orthopaedic surgery
• Examination for lameness
• Principles of fracture management, biology and biomechanics in fracture repair
• Biology and biomechanics in fracture repair
• Complications of fracture repair
• Common surgical approaches to bones and joints
• Bone grafts
- Surgery of the alimentary tract
• Diagnostic methods
• The upper, middle and lower gastrointestinal tract
• The liver and biliary system
• The exocrine pancreas
- Applied orthopaedic surgery
• Techniques of internal fixation of fractures
• Repair of long bone and joint fractures
• Repair of physeal and flat bone fractures
• Tendons and ligaments
• Selected conditions affecting bones/joints
- Surgical diseases of the respiratory & cardiovascular systems
• The upper and lower respiratory tract
• Congenital cardiovascular problems
- Surgical conditions of the spine
• Neurological examination and functional neuroanatomy
• Intervertebral disc disease
• Caudal cervical spondylomyelopathy
• Traumatic vertebral fractures/luxations
• Degenerative lumbosacral compressive disease (cauda equine syndrome)
• Atlantoaxial Instability
• Fibrocartilaginous embolism
- Surgery of the skin, eye, ears, haemolymphatic system and endocrine system
• Selected Skin, Eye and Ear Conditions
• The Lymphatics and Spleen
• The adrenal gland, pituitary gland, thyroid gland, parathyroid gland and endocrine pancreas
- Urogenital tract surgery
• Surgical anatomy
• Principles of urogenital tract surgery
• Urinary tract trauma
• Urinary incontinence
By successfully completing this course, you will:
- Comprehensive digital notes; images; videos and recommended readings
- Self-reflection exercises to test your knowledge and deepen your understanding
- Monthly assignments and tutorials where you will receive feedback and explanations from your tutors
- A discussion forum for conversation, debate and sharing cases with your peers and tutors
2-Day Workshop (Sydney) TBA
*Note: if travel restrictions impact on workshops running as face to face events, arrangements will be made for an online alternative.
What is Distance Education?
Premium, intensive online veterinary CPD
All CVE Distance Education (DE) programs are mentored by leading veterinary experts who will provide individual feedback and advice on completion of each monthly module. Each module may include written content, technique videos, self-reflections, quizzes and online submission of monthly assignments.
Maximise the opportunity to expand and consolidate your learning by participating in the tutor moderated group discussion forum and attending the optional 2-day practical workshop including a hands-on surgical practical session and in-depth discussion of key topics and cases.
Who should enrol?
This course is suitable for qualified veterinarians.
Pay as you learn
Choosing your DE course is a big commitment, so there’s no need to add further stress by paying your course up front. To pay as you learn, you will need a AU$1,000 deposit to secure your place, followed by 50% of the total course fee 10 days prior to course commencement date. We’ll arrange simple monthly direct debits from your credit card over 3 or 6 months.
Note: Payment Plan will incur an additional AU$250 administration fee, and Early Bird rates do not apply if you choose the payment plan option.
For the full terms and conditions please see our Terms.
||Member* Super Early Bird
||Member* Early Bird
||Member* Full Rate
|Surgery Distance Education
*Members include: Practice, Professional, Part-time Professional, Recent Graduate, and Academic members.
Loyalty DE Discount: Completed 2 or more Distance Education (DE) courses in the previous 5 years, you are eligible for a 10% discount on future DE courses. Discounts are not cumulative. For further information about discount options for multiple registrations at the one event, please read the full Terms. To redeem your discount contact the CVE via email [email protected] or phone +61 2 9351 7979 (Monday to Friday, AEST 9am to 5pm).