Perennially popular tutors Jill Maddison and Sue Bennett present this course where the learning begins the way it does in the clinic: with a focus on the presenting problem.
Dr Susan Carr joins our dynamic duo as a 3rd tutor with a specific role in facilitating the discussion forums. A Sydney Uni graduate, specialist in internal medicine and currently working in the internal medicine team at the University of Colorado Veterinary Teaching Hospital; she'll be alongside you all the way via the interactive forums.
This 8-module course will advance your problem-solving skills to develop a rational, pathophysiologically-based approach to diagnosing and managing internal medicine cases.
An emphasis on reflection and self-analysis of the way you process and work up cases will challenge you and help you to improve your approach in practice. In this way you will be able to develop a logical problem-solving framework that will carry through into more successful and rewarding management of your patients.
The workshops will provide an opportunity to interrogate your methodology and discuss approaches with your peers and tutors. If you are interested in sitting the small animal medicine membership examinations for the Australian and New Zealand College of Veterinary Scientists (ANZCVS), this is a wonderful preparation for you.
IMPS is a practice changing approach to assessing and working up cases that wasn't taught at my University. The modules are well structured and achievable with appropriate cases in the assignments to consolidate learning by way of thinking and problem solving, not cutting and pasting sections of text from the notes. Jill & co have done an outstanding job structuring the course and I recommend it to anyone wanting to develop a rational approach to medical cases to make their work lives a bit easier.
This course was fantastic at reinforcing the principles of small animal medicine problem solving and has made me a better clinician. Jill's feedback for my assignments was always very detailed, helpful and encouraging. This course has inspired me to pursue further small animal medicine specialist training.
Josie Martin, 2021 Participant
By successfully completing this course, you will:
- Develop a clear and logical approach to clinical problems
- Broaden your knowledge base in small animal medicine
- Gain a greater understanding of evaluation of clinical pathology
- Improve your productivity through more expedient diagnoses
- Improve the value of the service you provide to your clients
- Gain confidence in your general approach to small animal medical cases
- Clinical reasoning, problem solving, vomiting
- Anorexia & Weight Loss
- Polyuria/Polydipsia & Urinary Incontinence
- Jaundice, Pale Mucous Membranes and Pyrexia
- Epistaxis & Haematuria
- Coughing, Sneezing & Effusions
- Episodic Weakness & Seizures
What is Distance Education?
Premium, intensive online veterinary CE
All CVE Distance Education (DE) programs are mentored by leading veterinary experts who will provide individual feedback and advice on completion of each monthly module. Each module may include written content, technique videos, self-reflections, quizzes and online submission of monthly assignments.
Maximise the opportunity to expand and consolidate your learning by participating in the tutor moderated group discussion forum and attending the optional interactive workshops, with an emphasis on working through case studies and group discussion.
This online course comes with:
- Comprehensive digital notes, videos and journal articles
- Self-assessment and self-reflection exercises to test your knowledge and understanding
- A discussion forum for conversation, debate and sharing cases with your peers and tutors
- A monthly assignment based on case studies. Individual feedback and explanations will be provided by your tutors
- 2 online workshops with an emphasis on working through case studies and group discussion
- 1 onsite workshop with an emphasis on working through case studies and group discussion
This online course is complimented with two online workshops and a 2-day onsite workshop (note: if travel restrictions impact this workshop running as a face-to-face event, arrangements will be made for an online alternative).
Who should enrol?
This course is suitable for qualified veterinarians.
|Member* Super Early Bird
|Member* Early Bird
|Member* Full Rate
|Internal Medicine: A Problem Solving Approach
*Members include: Practice, Professional, Part-time Professional, Recent Graduate, and Academic members.
Loyalty DE Discount: Completed 2 or more (or all 3 Diagnostic Imaging, Dermatology or Anaesthesia & Analgesia) Distance Education (DE) courses in the previous 5 years, you are eligible for a 10% discount on future DE courses. Discounts are not cumulative. For further information about discount please read the full Terms. To redeem your discount contact the CVE via email [email protected] or phone +61 2 9351 7979 (Monday to Friday, AEST 9am to 5pm).