Minimising Feline Perioperative Stress WebinarPLUS NurseEd
Rabbit Anaesthesia: where everyone holds their breath waiting for it to be over - including the patient. Rabbits have a higher reported anaesthetic mortality rate than dogs and cats. There are a number of factors that influence this, including differences in behaviour, anatomy and physiology that need to be appreciated to prepare for a safe and successful anaesthetic in this species. They may also have underlying disease processes, that are undetected, as prey species are excellent at masking signs of illness. The aim of this webinar with Megan Walmsley is to arm nurses with the knowledge and skills to address some of the challenges in rabbit anaesthesia and the confidence to advocate for these patients.
The domestic cat is a complex species and problems can arise when their species-specific needs aren’t considered in the veterinary clinic environment and during interactions with them.
This lecture with Laura Watson from the international society of feline medicine will include information to help veterinary nurses provide for a cat’s territorial, environmental and emotional needs including:
- Cat carrier selection and training
- Travel – reducing stress visiting the clinic
- Arriving home – preparing the home and multi-cat homes
- Waiting room – designated cat areas, parking stations, covers over carriers, clear signage
- Consult/examination room – comfortable surfaces, opportunity to hide, being prepared, cat specific equipment
- Hospitalisation room and cage – separation of species, cage resources and placement, litter preferences, scent considerations
- Protective emotions – fear, anxiety, pain, frustration
- Engaging emotions - desire-seeking (social interactions, food and play, exploration, comfort, predatory behaviour)
Veterinary nurses are influential in providing cats with positive and consistent veterinary experiences from the moment they leave home.
This course has received approval from the AVNAT Regulatory Council and is valued at 1 CPD point.
What is a WebinarPLUS?
The WebinarPLUS series is FREE to CVE Members
WebinarPLUS is a quick and flexible online learning program to fit regular CPD into your busy schedule. Delivered by leading experts in their field, each WebinarPLUS gives you an approximately 1 hour-long webinar recording, supplementary readings, a quiz and an online discussion forum to engage directly with the presenter and your peers.
Complete at your own pace over 1 week. Gain 1 CPD point per monthly WebinarPLUS. Participants will be issued an electronic certificate upon successful completion of each course.
Who should enrol?
This course is designed for veterinary nurses. Veterinary students are welcome to enrol.
|Nurse Non Member
*Members include: Practice Nurse and Individual Nurse.