In this course participants will gain understanding of the unique aspects of anaesthesia in domestic species presented in large animal veterinary practice.
They will apply their fundamental knowledge and skills in anaesthesia to devise anaesthetic protocols by taking into consideration the risks associated with anaesthesia and the unique responses to anaesthesia, and to be able to respond to common peri-anaesthetic complications. The majority of the course is dedicated to equine anaesthesia. The second part of the course will cover anaesthesia and anaesthetic techniques for ruminants, with a focus on small ruminants and South American camelids.
Prerequisite: participants are assumed to have spent at least 2 years in clinical practice and have a sound knowledge of foundational principles in small animal anaesthesia, such as those covered in the ‘Anaesthesia & Analgesia: Fundamentals’ course.
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Assess anaesthetic risk factors specific to large animal species
- Develop sedation/anesthetic and analgesia protocols specific for large animal species
- Equine anaesthesia (4 weeks)
- Ruminant anaesthesia (2 weeks)
This online course comes with:
- Comprehensive digital notes, images, videos and journal articles
- Self-assessed quizzes to test your knowledge and understanding.
- A discussion forum for conversation, debate and sharing cases with your peers and tutor.
- Assignments based on case studies and practice enhancers. Individual feedback and explanations will be provided by your tutor.
- A virtual Q&A session with your tutors.
What is Distance Education?
Premium, intensive online veterinary CE
All CVE Distance Education (DE) programs are mentored by leading veterinary experts who will provide individual feedback and advice on completion of the modules. Each module may include written content, technique videos, self-reflections, quizzes and online submission of assignments.
Maximise the opportunity to expand and consolidate your learning by participating in the tutor moderated group discussion forum.
On completion of this course, participants will earn a Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia micro-credential digital badge. Digital badges are verified credentials that allow earners to easily communicate their skills and qualifications online. A digital badge can be used in email signatures, websites and social media platforms and contains verified metadata describing the qualification and the process required to earn it. Please note: this is not a higher education award and not a qualification recognised under the Australian Qualifications Framework.
Who should enrol?
This course is suitable for qualified veterinarians.
Assumed knowledge: It is expected that participants in this course are already competent at the following learning objectives in small animal anaesthesia which were covered in Anaesthesia & Analgesia Course 1 - Fundamentals:
- Demonstrate sound knowledge of clinical anaesthesia by devising an anaesthetic protocol and management plan aimed at minimising risk and optimising safety of anaesthesia
- Inform on inhalation anaesthesia equipment including on use, maintenance, testing, and patient-appropriate set up
- Suggest patient-individualized drug protocols that demonstrate sound understanding of the pharmacology of drugs commonly used for sedation, anaesthesia and analgesia
- Rationalise the importance of peri-anaesthetic monitoring including the choice of methods of monitoring
- Inform on the appropriate application, usefulness, advantages, disadvantages and limitations of commonly used monitoring techniques.
- Competently and confidently recognize and manage common peri-anaesthetic complications through application of a systematic approach
- Apply sound understanding of the physiology and pathophysiology of pain to integrate optimal analgesia into the anaesthetic protocol and post anesthesia care plan for the surgical patient.
| Course fees
||Super Early Bird
|eMember / Non-member
*Members include: Practice, Professional, Part-time Professional, Recent Graduate, and Academic members.
Loyalty DE Discount: Completed 2 or more (or all 3 Diagnostic Imaging, Dermatology or Anaesthesia & Analgesia) Distance Education (DE) courses in the previous 5 years, you are eligible for a 10% discount on future DE courses. Discounts are not cumulative. For further information about discount please read the full Terms. To redeem your discount contact the CVE via email [email protected] or phone +61 2 9351 7979 (Monday to Friday, AEST 9am to 5pm).